Students Offering Support (SOS) is a youth-driven charity that ‘elevates education and ignites leaders’, locally and globally. Since 2008, our programs have been delivered on more than twenty-five campuses across Canada and 12 countries around the world, supporting an engaging 10,000 past volunteers and supporting an estimated 250,000 youth globally. Our most popular programs include: Exam Aids, Outreach Trips, Textbooks for Change, and the MCAT for Social Impact Scholarship!
As the Director of Events, you will be working alongside and reporting to the VP of Human Resources. you are responsible for delegating tasks to the HR and events associates and work with the team to ensure events run smoothly.
- Participating in Skill Development and Training Sessions with SOS National Head Office and other volunteers from across the country, and familiarizing yourself with SOS national systems and policies to support effective Chapter operations.
- Have the opportunity to lead an event from planning to execution.
- Negotiating with various vendors in order to maximize contract value
- Create menus for events and select catering companies
- Monitor event timelines and ensure event itinerary is followed
- Assist in all operations before and after the event
- Establish creative event themes
- Purchase event decor items while ensuring items are within budget
- Work with the VP of Marketing to promote upcoming events (either on social media or by tabling events)
- Attend weekly meetings among the Executive team throughout the year to support cross-departmental collaboration.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- You are reliable, responsible, and want to be part of a high-impact, high-performance team
- You have a hunger to learn and develop in the subject matter areas relating to your position
- You have a willingness to work as a team and individually to accomplish Departmental goals
- You’re passionate about SOS mandate to support student success at both a local and global level
- You have the capacity to meet regularly with your Executive team, departmental volunteers, and SOS’ National Head Office to support the achievement of objectives
- Familiarity with SOS’ Operations are an asset; existing knowledge and skills in the subject matter areas relating to your position are a strong asset
- Availability to contribute to Goal Setting and Strategic Planning activities throughout the summer is an asset
Last modified: March 22, 2021