- SEED Alliance – Proudly working together since 2012 on 18 community development projects in Guatemala.
Departure City: Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, St. John's and Ottawa
May 1, 2019
May 12, 2019
- Volunteers will stay in a cultural center in the community, 3 km away from the agricultural plots they will visit. Daily transportation will be arranged by SOS’s partner NGO.
- Meals will consist of rice, beans, tortillas, fruit/vegetables, and some meat.
- The specific itinerary will be shared closer to the date of departure, however 2 days will be spent travelling from and to Canada, 8 days will be spent in Field School, in the community, and 2 days will be spent on Rest Days.
- During Rest Days, groups will visit the scenic Panajachel. Known for its location on, and views of Lake Atitlan, Panajachel is one of the most popular of the 11 towns surrounding Lake Atitlan. SOS volunteers will travel to Panajachel, tour the famous Calle Santander, and take a boat tour to San Juan La Laguna. In San Juan, they will be met by Casa del Tejido, who will provide a coffee production and textile production tour. Casa del Tejido offers a variety of products made by the Maya artisans, using 100% cotton, natural colors, creative designs and high quality products for a fair price to support the Mayan families of San Juan la Laguna. Visit http://casadeltejidoytours.org/ for more information.
SOS volunteers sleep in available community structures (classrooms, community centers, churches), and live as close to the conditions of the community as possible.
SOS works directly with Flight Centre to process all volunteers' Outreach Trip logistics from your travel insurance to your in country needs like clean drinking water and accommodations!
Three meals a day plus clean drinking water and snacks! Meals will consist of rice, beans, tortillas, and fruit/vegetables. Soups, stews, and pasta dishes are common as well. Most dietary restrictions and allergies can accommodated.
SOS works exclusively with registered non governmental organizations in every community to ensure our volunteers have the best experience possible.